Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rocking

So, my darling daughter doesn't talk much -- she signs. She is a serious communicator, but not necessarily in the verbal sense.

For example, the term rock/rocking.

Initially, when her cousin Ansleigh was born in March, I told Livi that we rock babies. I pretended to cradle something in my arms and rocked them back and forth. She immediately picked this up as her sign for rocking babies. It's very sweet to see. She often tells me that she's going to rock her baby brother or sister when they arrive.

Fast forward to about a month ago, when Livi heard the song Barbara Ann by The Beach Boys. She loves this song. To bits. And pieces. When she dances to it, she moves and grooves around the room. And when it gets to the line, "You got me rocking and a rolling, rocking and a reeling, Barbara Ann, Bar-Bar-Barb-Barbara Ann," she stops her crazy dancing, and starts making the rocking motion with her arms. That's right. She's a genius. Mindset shift from rocking a baby to rock and roll. Atta girl.

And finally, this morning she and Bert were outside playing at our fountain. Bert asked her what she wanted, and she looked at him and did the rocking motion. Do you know what she wanted? Rocks. To throw in the fountain.

Genius, I tell you. Why talk when you can use signs?

1 comment:

  1. Rocks and rocking. Brilliant indeed my friend. Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete